Wednesday 11 August 2010

Letting Go of My Elijah

"And Elisha saw him no more." 2 Kings 2:12

In my Utmost this morning I read about the idea of "letting go of your Elijah."  A Theme from 2 Kings when Elisha must separate from Elijah.  It was okay to depend on him for as long as God gave him, but there came a time that Elijah had to go.  Several times Elisha says "I cannot go on without Elijah."  But God says that we must go on.

God gives us things for a season.  Sometimes for a long season, sometimes for just a short time.  Today's Utmost  certainly hit me this morning as certain seasons are coming to an end.  The biggest security for me has been Crusade and my Crusade family.  This has, in a sense, been my Elijah.  It has been my guide, my leader, my security blanket.  But now after 6 years of growing up in the Crusade family, I'm quickly learning that I must "go on!" I am so grateful for all that I have learned over the past six years through all the Crusade conferences, Bible studies, discipleship appointments, weekly meetings, etc.

Chambers writes, "No one can take the responsibility for you.  You have to put to the test now what you learned when you were with your Elijah.  You are now up against it alone.  It is no use saying you cannot go on; this experience has come, and you must go.   


No one can take the responsibility for you.

I like how Michael Frey, my OCMD director, put it.  He calls summer project a launching pad to the rest of your life and walk with Jesus.  I see my time with Crusade as my launching pad.   It has set me up for a "life long adventure." (yeah Crusade!) Not only am I ready to be launched, but I am being forced to launch:  to walk with God closely or not.  Ultimately it's up to me.

My prayer is not only for me, but also for all the other graduates of college/campus crusade.  There is so  much growth that happens in the 4-5 years in college.  I have seen way too many people fall away from their faith after college because of the world beckoning and enticing with nice things.   May we all learn to let go of our Elijahs and become self-feeders on the Word of God!

No comments: